Info provided by the late Curtis Carter
Todd School is located in the Goochtown community of Pulaski County, Kentucky. Todd School was built in 1934 and closed in 1957. The land where the school is located was donated to the Pulaski County Board of Education on March 1. 1934 by C.L. Justice and his wife M.C. Justice which is on record at the Pulaski county clerks of in Deed Book 216, page 396.
During this time over 109 students studied under 13 different teachers that taught first through eight grades.The school was finished, but no seats were available when school classes began in mid July that year. The carpenter, Walter Adams built benches around a tree in the front yard. These were used for about the first week.
The school opened with 33 students which was the largest ever one year attendance. It is believed the cost of building the school was less than $1,000.00. The parents of the students and people in the community provided most of the labor under the direction of carpenter Walter Adams. Hezekiah Webb Carter this blog developer's grandfather hewed much of the timbers needed. The timber was cut from trees standing on the one and one quarter acre school grounds. The school grounds was full of tree stumps and the students using mattocks, dug out and burned all off them which took about 5 years.
Students carried water from the Jim Anderson spring each day which was about one mile from the school. Students always had assigned jobs such as getting water, cutting and carrying in wood and kindling.
The school was closed in 1957 and it students were sent to Eubank Grade and High School. Loranza Carter purchased the school property from the Pulaski Co Board of Education and it is still owned by the Carter family..